- To start, cut a regular straw in half. Not only is a shorter straw easier to handle, but it also takes less strength for a child to suck liquid from a shorter straw.
- Dip the straw into a cup with liquid preferred by the child. Place the tip of your pointer finger over the top of the straw to keep the liquid in the straw. Remove the straw from the cup, keeping the top of the straw covered with your fingertip.
- Place the straw on the child’s lips at a slightly tilted down angle (so that if you release your finger, the liquid will flow into the mouth).
- Remove your fingertip, allowing the liquid to flow into the child’s mouth. The goal here is for the child to comprehend that he/she is getting liquid from the straw. As you are doing this, tell the child to “take a sip.” Continue reading
- Tips, techniques, and special offers from ARK's very own Debra C. Lowsky, MS, CCC-SLP
Stay in Touch!Join our email list for Special Offers, News, and Therapy Tips from ARK Therapeutic
Recommend ArticlesEasy Oral Motor Exercises
Inappropriate Chewing & Finger/Knuckle Biting
Gum Massage for Oral Motor Stimulation
Tips to Decrease Oral Defensiveness
Tips for Toothbrushing with Oral Defensiveness
Mealtime Sensory Strategies for Texture Aversions
Tips for Pleasing Picky Eaters
Finger Feeding Tips for Toddlers
How to Address Drooling
How to Teach Blowing Skills
How to Teach Straw Drinking
How to Teach Biting & Chewing Skills
- #Repost @AmandaBrooke17 💙 . "Teething on her Grabber, she’s relieving gum pain as well as… instagram.com/p/BfWpWVAAtSG/ 1 day ago
- Coming soon! These will be ready next week 😊 instagram.com/p/BfQwsNDgyVT/ 3 days ago
- #repost love_skate_kendal . "A little fun on the harness with @arktherapeutic #chewelry to help… instagram.com/p/BfPOGtdg2S_/ 4 days ago
- Animal Tips ark therapeutic Chewing chew tool DnZ-Vibe feeding therapy feeding therapy tools g-tube grabber hypersensitive gag jaw grading jaw stability lateralization Lip Bloks low tone mouth exercises mouthing tool oral defensiveness oral motor oral motor chew phasic bite preefer tip propreefer reflux rhythmic chewing sensory stimulation sensory strategies sippy cups speech therapy straw drinking straws teach chewing texture acceptance texture aversion tongue elevation weak suck y-chew Z-Vibe